Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shopping in a Familiar Land

Your closet can be the best store you've ever been in, if you work it right. Last Saturday, I decided- last minute- to go to an all-white yacht party with my best friend. With less than 3 hours to spare, I had to find an outfit, style my hair, take a nap, walk my dog and get to her house. Overwhelmed doesn't begin to describe how I felt. For me, the issue was the color. White is not a color that I gravitate towards, because like most people, I can be a little messy (don't judge me.)

My first instinct was to take to the stores: Kohls, TJ Maxx, Target, etc. but when I got out and started looking at my options, I started to consider a night at home with my dog and how nice that might be. My options were short and tight or long and tight- neither of which were the look I was going for. Then, it hit me... I don't own a white dress but I could "make one." Yes, I can sew but that's not what I meant. Out of the five white items I own, I could piece them together to make a seamless look.

I ran home and began to search through the mounds of clothes on the floor of my closet (don't judge me.) After a little digging, I found the look!




The three elements in this look are:
  1. A white romper (purchased in 2010 at TJ Maxx, $19.99)
  2. A white and grey gathered skirt (purchased in 2007 at Gap, $10)
  3. A white hook belt (purchased in 2010 and I am not sure where or how much)
Paired with some white wedge sandals, I was ready to head out for a night of fun.

This look was so comfortable that I wore the skirt and belt with a pink 3/4 length shirt to work.





These looks fit into the uber-feminine trend I am doing for the summer season.
High-waisted gathered skirts minimize your hips and accentuate the waist line. I am a huge fan of a sweetheart neckline on a strapless top because it makes your chest look fuller and narrows broad shoulders.

So, the next time you are in a fashion crisis, take a step back and then two steps forward- into your closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment